Our History

In 1910, a group of local and nationally prominent industrialists, financiers and philanthropists and their associates acquired 144 acres of land, which constitutes the Club and its grounds today. Their aim was to establish a first-rate golf course, along with other recreational facilities, to meet the needs of a growing and increasingly prosperous community: a golf course in which they and future generations of members could take great pride. To achieve their vision, the noted golf course architect Devereux Emmet was engaged to design and oversee construction of an 18-hole golf course.

Today, this exceptionally well-maintained jewel of a course stands in splendid witness to that early vision. Through the years, more recreational amenities have been added to address the needs and interests of the Club's members. Included among them are 4 Har- Tru tennis courts, a 5 court platform tennis facility, past and future host to the American Platform Tennis Association National Championships, and an affiliated Winter Club with an attractive ice skating and hockey complex. These recreational opportunities along with a comfortable and tastefully appointed Club House, offering a range of attractive dining and entertainment options for members and their families.

Since its inception in 1910, Huntington Country Club has remained true to its founding mission: "To promote golf, tennis and other games; to provide sociability and amusement for its members; and to facilitate its members in the pursuit of health and pleasure." That mission is as true today as it was then. It is still a place that is an essential part of the fabric of the community; a place for families to enjoy sports and recreation and to meet friends new and old; a place to shed the day to day cares of the world and enjoy the gracious companionship of fellow members.


In 1910, two newly named Directors, Willard N. Baylis and Timothy S. Williams, acting for the Huntington Club Company, acquired, in their own names, five parcels of land and certain rights-of-way aggregating 143 acres. The Huntington Club Company raised $134,100 in the fall of 1910 for the purchase of the property, the building of the Clubhouse, and the construction of the golf course.

William Matheson

The first meeting of the Board of Directors took place on May 14, 1910. The prominent founders all resided in Huntington, Cold Spring Harbor, Halesite and Northport at the time. At this meeting the by-laws of the club were established. The Board elected William Matheson as President. Matheson served as president for four years.

Devereux Emmet

Noted architect Devereux Emmet's golf courses incorporated great variety. The 7th hole at Huntington Country Club is his adaptation of the Road Hole at St. Andrews. The HCC board of directors elected Devereux Emmet a full Honorary Member of Huntington Country Club in 1911.

original clubhouse

The south face of the Clubhouse was a narrow, brick-floored dining porch, a little wider than the present entrance hall. It was faced with glass and had French doors facing the present 7th tee which was the first hole. In this south façade there was a lounge.

original clubhouse

In January 1922 the Club embarked on its first clubhouse expansion resulting in the construction of what we know as today's Pro Shop and Ray's Room.


A most outstanding event occurred on Sunday, September 3, 1922, when a prestigious golfing exhibition match was held at our Club. Touring British professionals George Duncan and Abe Mitchell, and American Professionals Gene Sarazen, National Champion, and Tom Kerrigan played a 36-hole exhibition match.

The Great Depression 1930's

By the end of 1931 the Depression had hit the Club hard, and times remained perilous for the next eight years. The Clubhouse was closed during the winters to save fuel. Salaries were reduced.


By January 1942, numerous resignations had been submitted. It was decided not to open the Club until May 1, 1942. The membership ranks had dwindled to about 40 members. At the end of 1942, all staff were terminated except one. One house employee, Ray Welch (namesake of today's "Ray's Room") was retained.

Arthur Gwynne

In 1943 a financial restructuring of the Club occurred to avoid liquidation. Gwynne and Lindsay's combined efforts and leadership during this period of economic stress earned them recognition as saviors of the club. Members were invited to subscribe to new Capital Stock of a new corporation, Huntington Purchase Inc., to purchase the overdue mortgage. The Club avoided foreclosure and was saved.


The single most important factor facing the club in the late 1950's was the need for water. The town of Huntington was growing rapidly. The water problem could be more acute over the next several years. After the necessary planning, permits, financing and construction, the new watering system was operational by the spring of 1957. By 1959, the construction of the expanded piping system and increased well capacity commenced in 1960.


In July of 1957 Huntington Purchase, Inc. had several meetings with Mrs. Marshall Field regarding her suggestion that the Huntington Country Club consider acquiring 200-250 acres of the Field property on Lloyd's Neck. Her proposal envisioned HCC moving and developing the land for a golf course, clubhouse, and other sports. After lengthy discussion among members, the board's consensus was the proposal was not in the best interest of the Club and its members due to the distant location of the Field property, the high initial cost, and the estimated higher costs of operation.


A sizable group of community residents, including members of Huntington Country Club, decided to explore the possibility of building a full-size artificial ice skating rink on the property. With the Huntington Country Club and Huntington Purchase boards approving the plan, the Winter Club sublease was consummated, the new rink constructed and was opened to Winter Club members on November 15, 1957.

front of club

As late as the 1950's the Clubhouse was very simple and resembled its original structure. During the summer of 1957 a study to improve the Club's facilities commenced. The principal improvements being the addition of the present main dining room and kitchen. For the first time, this put the kitchen on the same floor as the dining areas. Also involved in the 1960 improvements was an expanded ladies locker room, a golf bag storage room, and a new furnace system.

tennis court

From the beginning, the platform tennis activity at the Club has been a joint venture between Huntington Country Club and the Winter Club. The first two platform tennis courts, both wooden, were built in 1965 in the valley west of the golf course's fourth hole. Over the years three courts were added. Starting in 1979, the club embarked on a schedule of replacing one wooden court each year with an aluminum court. Heating and fans were installed beneath each new aluminum court to circulate the air aiding in the removal of snow and ice on the courts.


In recognition of the contribution that caddies make to the game, in 1971 a "Caddy Scholarship Fund" was started. The intent is to help deserving full-time caddies defray some of the cost of college. Since that time the fund, by means of outright grants, has assisted those young people selected by a special committee on the basis of character and performance as caddies. Over 50 years the fund has awarded over 230 caddies with over $600,000.


Over the decades Huntington Country Club has engaged in golf matches with neighboring clubs to foster friendly competition and camaraderie. The first match of record was in 1925. The interclub matches were discontinued in connection with World War II. The modern-day Huntington Cup, pitting Huntington Country Club vs. Huntington Crescent Club, was born with the first match in 1983. It remains a 36-hole event with each club hosting the morning or afternoon matches. The Huntington Cup continues to this day with 2023 marking the 40th playing of this crosstown rivalry.

renovation construction

To address the growing and diverse needs of the membership there was a growing chorus declaring the need to inject capital investment into the clubhouse. A majority of the membership voted for an extensive renovation plan. Construction began in November 2008. The highlight of the effort was the new trophy room and bar area. The kitchen was redesigned and expanded. The ladies' and men's locker rooms were upgraded. By 2010 the clubhouse was ready to welcome its centennial birthday.

the centennial year memorabilia

A centennial committee was formed in 2007 to plan the anniversary events for three years hence. A hickory stick golf outing, various tennis and platform tennis events and the creation of a time capsule of current memorabilia were precursors to the main event - a formal black tie ball to commemorate the year.

golf course master plan

A ten year golf course master plan was developed in 2013 to restore the golf course to its original open and windswept landscape. Devereux Emmet worried that Club committees would make ill-advised changes to his work. He would be very pleased with how much of his original design and ideas are still in play.

outdoor racquet courts

With the explosive growth of the club's platform tennis program the original racquets chalet was proving to be a concern. Beginning in 2012 Huntington Country Club and the Winter Club began initial discussions for the requirements of a new chalet built in 2019.